We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
State-of-the-art technology has enabled academics read for the first time the oldest Hebrew scroll found since the 'Dead Sea Scrolls', as reported by Israeli and American experts.
The charred piece of the 6th century parchment It was found among the ash trees of a synagogue in Ein Gedi, on the shore of the Dead Sea, in 1970 but until now it had been impossible to read its contents.
«The most advanced technologies have allowed us to 'unroll' virtually a 1,500-year-old parchment“As explained by Pnina Shor of the Israeli Antiquities Authority.
"After the 'Dead Sea Scrolls', this is one of the most significant finds," Shor herself told reporters.
Archaeologist Sefi Porat, who was part of the team that excavated the ruins in 1970 has said: «We have tried to read the scroll, but were unsuccessful. We couldn't know what was hidden with the technology back then«.
Kept by the Israeli Antiquities Authority in the dark, climate controlled in a chamber along with the 'Dead Sea Scrolls', the parchment remained a closed book until last year the Israeli company ‘Merkel Technologies’ offered its scanner to examine the parchment.
The results of the 3D scanners were sent to the computer science department of the University of Kentucky, whose digital development has allowed to obtain the first images of the parchment.
Shor believes that the complete scroll should contain the entire Torah, but Professor Bren Seales of the University of Kentucky has stated that it is too early to know if relevant information can be gathered from the scroll.
Shor claims that the find fills an important gap between the 'Dead Sea Scrolls', written 2,000 years ago, and the Aleppo Code of the 10th century.The 870 ‘Dead Sea Scrolls’ were discovered between 1947 and 1956 in the caves of Qumran, above the Dead Sea..
The oldest documents date from the 3rd century and the most recent are from the year 70, when Roman troops destroyed the Second Jewish Temple in Jerusalem.The Aleppo Code was written in Galilee in the 10th century and it was named after the Syrian city in which it was between the fourteenth century until it was transferred to Israel by smuggling in 1950.